- Read from June 9 to Sept. 5. Record the title and author of books read on the Reading Log. Students can read to themselves or others. Students can listen as others read to them.
- Complete the “My Favorite Book of the Summer” response on the back of the Reading Log.
- Enter to win prizes and participate in the Reading Rocks Celebration in October by turning in completed logs and reader response. Each participating student will be entered into a raffle. (Grand prize is a bike from Bike Source.) Students are not competing against each other for total number of books read. Set a personal goal and have fun reading!
READING ROCKS! is a program geared towards encouraging students to read over the summer so they avoid the “summer slide.” Studies have shown that children who do not read over the summer lose some of the achievement gains made during the previous school year. Rising kindergartners through fifth-graders participate by filling out a Reading Rocks log, a record of the title and author of books read. To conclude the program, students write or draw a picture about the book they enjoyed the most. What counts as reading? Students can read to themselves or others. Students can listen to others read to them. Our goal is 100 percent participation. Let’s encourage our Cotswold Cougars to read all summer long!
Recommended Book Lists
- Charlotte Mecklenburg Library’s Bookhive
- Association for Library Service to Children: 2017 Notable Children’s Books
- Reading Rockets
- Battle of the Books
- A Mighty Girl
- Guys Read
Sponsors This program could not happen without the support of the wonderful Cotswold Teachers and Staff, Volunteers, Parents and especially our program’s Sponsors: