Cotswold Parents –
Recently we sent a letter providing updates about the work of the School Leadership Team (SLT) and the activities in process as the SLT and PTA work together with CMS and our school staff (at Cotswold and BIllingsville) to prepare for a successful launch of our combined school in the fall 2018.
Since that update, there have been some changes and progress that we would like to share.
Combined School Name
In the last update we shared our decision not to pursue a formal combined school name. That decision was based on several factors, the most critical being protection of staffing levels. Since that decision was made, we received new information that the state would base allocations on the number of physical locations regardless of name. This new information prompted us to reconvene as a combined SLT to discuss the prior decision.
The combined SLT met on Oct. 10 at Billingsville Elementary and decided to pursue a formal name for our combined school. We have agreed that this new name will not replace our existing campus names, but will give us one unifying name. A working group has been assembled with parents from both schools to help us in this effort. This small team is working with an advertising agency to come up with name recommendations. The next steps are:
- The naming work group will bring recommendations to the combined SLT for a vote.
- SLT will approve 2-3 names to share with the community for feedback.
- SLT will seek out feedback from community members.
- SLT will review community feedback and approve the name most preferred by the community.
- SLT will prepare a naming proposal and submit it to the Board of Education for a vote.
Please stay tuned for more information about this naming process and your opportunity to weigh in on our combined school name.
Transportation Feedback and Survey
Last month, CMS shared a transportation survey with parents that created confusion. As a result, our school leadership, PTA, SLT and many parents provided feedback about that survey and requested more information. When the combined SLT met with CMS leaders on October 10th, that feedback was discussed and a new survey was created and distributed. The results of this new survey are:
- 45.77% of parents preferred that children ride separate buses to school.
- 24.01% of parents wanted children to ride together on one bus.
- 29.83% of parents said either option would be OK.
- 44.09% of the responses came from Billingsville parents and 55.53% came from Cotswold parents. There was a good mix of opinions from both schools and the majority preferred children to ride separate buses to reduce overall ride time.
As mentioned in the survey, the bell schedule currently being reviewed by CMS is a 9:15 a.m. bell for both campuses with a 30 minute window from school opening to final bell. Our survey feedback has been shared with CMS leaders and they will make a final decision considering our feedback along with district wide plans and resources.
That decision is expected in the next few weeks and will be shared with parents as soon as possible. We will continue to provide updates as needed to keep you informed.
Please continue to share your thoughts/questions as we progress with the transition.
Lecil Sullivan, SLT Chair
Rashidah Morgan, SLT Vice-Chair