The time has come! We are so excited to begin work renovating the playground area funded by the Boosterthon. After numerous meetings over the summer with tree specialists, drainage experts, landscape architects and artificial turf companies, we are a go!
What’s the plan?
- Bring 6,000 square feet of artificial turf to create a usable play space in the top of the K-1 playground. This will open that area up for all grades while leaving all existing play structures unchanged.
- Provide a shaded play area.
- Transform the dust- and mud-prone area into an aesthetically pleasing, usable play space.
- Clare’s Garden will be moved to the green space between the second-grade hallway and the Media Center. Plans for planting the area will take place this fall to create a serene retreat on campus.
- The turf installation is scheduled for the third week of August.
The PTA’s priorities changed from new playground equipment to new playground footing after several classrooms flooded last June. The grading and removal of drain-clogging mulch will help correct the drainage issues that have plagued this area for years.
Our main goal is always to help the teachers and staff provide a superb education for our children, and that starts with usable classrooms! Installing new equipment without first addressing the drainage issues would not have been fiscally prudent, as anything installed would have to be ripped out eventually to regrade the area.
The children are going to love having a second turfed play area on which to run wild, and we look forward to hearing their happy voices back on campus soon!