This year’s open house dates for Cotswold Elementary School are:
- 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 13
- 10 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 17
- 10 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 21
Each month the students on Cougar News are going to highlight special topics. This month is Hispanic Heritage Month.
SEPTEMBER 4TH – This week we are highlighting our government – In 1822 Joseph Marion Hernandez of Florida was the first Hispanic to serve as a US representative. Since then there have been over 102 Hispanics to serve in our Federal Government.
SEPTEMBER 11TH – This week we are highlighting science -Franklin Chan-Diaz was the first Hispanic male astronaut in 1986 and in 1991 Ellen Ochoa was the first female Hispanic astronaut. In 1968 Luis Walter Alvarez won the Nobel Prize in Physics and in 1959 Severo Ochoa won the Nobel Prize in Medicine.
SEPTEMBER 18TH– This week we are highlighting the arts -In 1912 Lucrezia Bori debuted at the Metropolitan Opera. Richie Valens was born in 1941, Joan Baez was Time Magazine’s Entertainer of the year in 1962 and Carlos Santana was inducted into the Rock & Roll hall of fame in 1998.
SEPTEMBER 25TH –This week we are highlighting sports- Jim Plunkett was the overall #1 draft pick for the Oakland Raiders in 1971. Tom Fears was inducted into the Football Hall of Fame in 1970 and he was also the first Hispanic Head coach in the NFL. Nancy Lopez was inducted into the LPGA in 1987.
Welcome back to the new school year! As you are getting geared up for the new school year, we wanted to tell you about a few easy ways you can earn money for our school when you shop.
Re-Link your Harris Teeter card for a chance to win $200!
Ask your cashier to link your Harris Teeter VIC card today (School Code: 1772) for a chance to win $200 in Harris Teeter gift cards, as well as $200 in gift cards for our school. You can also relink online: http://www.harristeeter.com/community/together_in_education/link_to_your_school.aspx
Need to buy more uniforms?
School will earn 1%-3% back on school uniform and dress code purchases from Lands’ End. Just choose to “Find My School” (Preferred School Number 900092941) while shopping online. You can set up your child(ren)’s profile and our approved uniform is available in a variety of sizes, including slim and husky. You can also choose to have the Cotswold logo added.
When you select the charity – PTA North Carolina Congress Cotswold School PTA, Amazon Smile offers .5% back on eligible purchases.
1. Go to http://smile.amazon.com
2. Under “Your Account”, select “Change your Charity”
3. Search for “Cotswold”
4. Select “PTA North Carolina Congress Cotswold School PTA”
5. Shop and earn money for our school!
All purchases used with RedCard contributes 1% to Cotswold. School Code: 80422
Enjoy benefits of RedCard: No annual fee, 5% off of all purchases, and free shipping. For more information, go to: https://www-secure.target.com/redcard/tcoe/school-details-2014?schoolId=80422&enroll=no
BoxTops for Education
Don’t forget to send in all those Box Tops you’ve collected over the summer. Each Box Top earns 10 cents and they add up quickly! Last school year, we earned $971.90. We are going to set our goal a little higher for this year so send them in. You can just collect them in ziplock bags and send in with your children.
As we continue our efforts to ensure the safety of all students, we need your help in following the rules that have been established.
• ONLY students living in the Cotswold neighborhood and/or designated as walkers will be permitted to exit from Linda Lane.
• Students who walk home will exit ONLY through the door near Linda Lane. Walkers will not be dismissed from any other exits in the building. Students in mobile units will enter the building at dismissal and exit through the door near Linda Lane.
• Parents, the walk zone is not used for carpool. Please do not park your car in the surrounding neighborhoods and walk to pick up your child/children.
• Carpool students will be dismissed from the gym. Parents are not allowed to walk up and pick up the students from the gym.