Let’s Get Ready to Read is canceled this week. We will not meet on Wednesday, July 16th. As the beginning of school approaches, we will post information on our final event in August. Thanks!
There will be a Popsicle Playdate for all rising kindergartners on Sunday July 13th. Please meet at the school’s playground at 3:00 – we hope to see you there!
I want to send out a big thank you to the families of Cotswold. Your work in and out of the classroom and your financial support has been critical to the success of the 2013-14 school year. I am so grateful!
- Commit to Cotswold – We exceeded our goal of $55,000.
- Monthly Community Partner Events – We raised in excess of $12,000 simply by supporting area restaurants and retailers on family nights.
- Book Fair – Through our partnership with Scholastic, we collected $5500 from book sales.
- Cotswold Rocks Auction – A team of tireless women organized a fabulous event at Dilworth Neighborhood Bar and Grill. Through the generous donations of community businesses, the talents of our own Cotswold parents and the innovative artwork of our creative students, we raised over $19,000.
- Boosterthon – Our newest fundraising event brought in $30,000 for the school. And we raised $1000 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation in honor of our staff.
What our fundraising efforts contributed to the school:
- A team of teachers was able to visit the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta, Georgia; a school utilizing trailblazing methodology to bring the fun back to learning. We contributed to a library of books from the program and an in-house training for the fall of 2014. www.ronclarkacademy.com
- Mr. Clutts received a new PA system for teaching and events, complete with Bluetooth technology.
- We outfitted two carts of iPads with covers to ensure the safekeeping of our technology.
- We supplemented the field trips at all grade levels: 4th graders visited Biztown and Raleigh, the 2nd graders experienced Old Salem, 5th graders learned team building at Camp Hanes, and various grade levels visited Imaginon and regional zoos.
New Programs and Experiences:
- With the release of 2013 EOG scores, the administration partnered with the PTA to create several programs to promote achievement in literacy. We were excited to watch the growth of a handful of third graders chosen for an afterschool enrichment program. In addition, we are beginning a branch of Reading Rocks (“Let’s Get Ready to Read”) targeting our rising kindergartners and their siblings who can use an extra push before they walk the halls of Cotswold in the fall.
- We introduced “Pay What You Can” at our quarterly “Meet and Eats”. We served a record 800 meals at two of the final General PTA meetings.
- Mother/Son Outing at Knight’s Stadium and Daddy/Daughter dance at Cotswold had record participation. Kudos to the team of moms who organized such fun events for our families.
- Celebrate Cotswold was a huge hit this year, despite the brief downpour. We LOVED the food trucks and hope they will return for our celebration next year.
- We rolled out Edukit this final quarter. Get a jump on your back to school shopping and save both money and time.
Perhaps the greatest accomplishment is due to your overwhelming generosity and the fundraising efforts of our students through Boosterthon. Because of its amazing success we are excited to begin the installment of artificial turf on the grounds between the play equipment and the mobile units. Our kids will now have an area to play that is free of debris and safe for the typical rough and tumble play of elementary students. Thank you for partnering with us throughout the year. Our job of advocacy enables the teachers to focus on their jobs in the classroom.
I hope you have a safe and restful summer!
“Let’s Get Ready to Read”
When: Wednesdays this summer, June 18th, July 16th and August 20th
Time: 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
Where: Cotswold School, Technology Lab
What: A literacy program geared towards rising kindergartners and their younger siblings who have not been enrolled in preschool. Families will participate in a storytime, an activity and structured playtime. Children will take home a book. Limited transportation provided.